[O] Some desktop managers co-opt C-M-right and C-M-left

From: Susan Cragin
Subject: [O] Some desktop managers co-opt C-M-right and C-M-left
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 07:45:34 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Aggghhh.
I changed to the Enlightenment desktop manager, changed my underlying distro to
Lubuntu (LXDE)

Both desktop managers co-opt the C-M-right and -left keys to change desktops.
(They also co-opt C-S-right.) Ditto -up and -down.

I have tried the following:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-S-right") 'org-demote-subtree)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-S-left") 'org-promote-subtree)

error: C-S- must prefix a single character, not right

Have also tried C-M-right, with similar results.

Does anyone have an idea? I have two problems. On-line documentation has told
me that I can spell out the word "right" to mean "right-arrow," but clearly
that is wrong, and there is one letter that does this. ???

My second problem is this: will a command set in .emacs over-ride a command set
by my desktop? If it does not, should I try the following, and use the Windows
/ super key?

(global-set-key (kbd "C-s-right") 'org-demote-subtree)