Re: [O] Using Emacs Org-mode on a server with ssh on an iPad

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: [O] Using Emacs Org-mode on a server with ssh on an iPad
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 19:28:18 +0200

> However, the one recommendation I would make is that, if you can, you
> should run emacs within screen or byobu on the host so that
> disconnections keep the emacs instance running.  I found it quite
> useful to have that emacs running continuously while I was out and
> about.

mosh is really nice for remoting like this:
 http://mosh.mit.edu/

Don't know if there is a mosh implementation for iOs, though... none
listed on the site (two applications implementing mosh listed for
Android):
 http://mosh.mit.edu/#getting

The wikipedia article mentions something called iSSH, which is said to
have a mosh protocol plugin:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosh_(software)#Supported_platforms

A short summary of mosh behaviour:
 - An SSH connection is used to connect and authenticate the user
 - After the initial SSH connection mosh switches to an UDP protocol
   that tries to keep the local terminal emulator in sync with a
   terminal emulator process running on the host, automatically handling
   disconnects, suspend, new IP numbers, etc.

When I had a working linux netbook I used mosh to connect to a couple of
servers, and it worked perfectly from hotel WiFi all over Europe, and my
ICE modem, as well as other places in the world: as soon as I had a
connection, the mosh window was live again, and at the state where I
left it (or the process on the server side had left it, actually).