Re: [O] Cool trick on how to eval bash/zsh babel blocks in emacs

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: [O] Cool trick on how to eval bash/zsh babel blocks in emacs
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:45:54 -0400

Xebar Saram <address@hidden> writes:

Hello, all!

> Thanks to the always amazing sacha chua here is a neat way to evaluate/run
> bash/zsh command line commands inside the emacs term. i find this very
> useful for collecting multiple bash snippets and quickly running them
> here is the code
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (defadvice org-babel-execute:sh (around sacha activate)
>   (if (assoc-default :term (ad-get-arg 1) nil)
>     (let ((buffer (make-term "babel" "/bin/zsh")))
>       (with-current-buffer buffer
>         (insert (org-babel-expand-body:generic
>              body params (org-babel-variable-assignments:sh params)))
>         (term-send-input))
> (pop-to-buffer buffer))
>     ad-do-it))
> #+end_src

To use this:

#+begin_src sh :term t
ls -l
echo "Hello world"
#+end_src

Probably good to replace the "/bin/zsh" call with
(or explicit-shell-file-name (getenv "ESHELL") (getenv "SHELL")
"/bin/sh"))

So the original context of this was that zeltak wanted a way to run sh
babel blocks in a separate term so that he could interact with the
results of the process instead of having the output go into a results
block. I'm not sure if there's already a proper way to do this (didn't
seem like it from org-babel-execute:sh), so I added a custom :term
parameter and advised the execution of org-babel-execute.sh. Seems to
work.

Of course, proper implementation would get rid of the advice, and also
maybe use :results term or something like that. Anyway, before we dig
into implementation details and documentation updates: Is interacting
with babel output something that might be interesting to include? If so,
how should it behave?

Sacha