Re: [O] observations on updating to recent org

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] observations on updating to recent org
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 10:17:59 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Nicolas, do you remember why we added IDs to all headlines and not
>> just the one that we be exported in the .ics file?
>
> It is a bit difficult to do otherwise.

Assuming this is just difficult, not impossible, what would be the way
to do it?

> We don't know beforehand what headlines are going to be exported.

Would it be possible to emulate export first just for the sake of
adding IDs where it's necessary?

> We get this information when a headline is encountered during
> export, which happens in a different buffer, and possibly in a
> different process.
>
> I think it is a minor inconvenience and we can live with it.

`org-icalendar-store-UID' is `nil' by default because a value of
`t' might be very inconvenient in some circumstances -- quoting the
docstring:

  "This variable is not turned on by default because we want to avoid
  creating a property drawer in every entry if people are only playing
  with this feature, or if they are only using it locally."

One way to adapt to the current behavior is to have a file dedicated
to being exported as an ics file -- but for people who want to export
entries from their regular files, having all those drawers created
everywhere just for the sake of a few entries being picked up for
the .ics output certainly feels wrong.

I'm interested in enhancing the current behavior if you can give me
a few directions.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien