Re: [O] setting left margin in PDF output of ORG file

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] setting left margin in PDF output of ORG file
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:41:05 -0500

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM, J. David Boyd <address@hidden> wrote:
> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> address@hidden (J. David Boyd) writes:
>>
>>> I've looked through all the latex, org-latex, org-beamer variables I can
>>> find with customize-apropos, but not having any luck.
>>
>> You can use the LaTeX geometry package:
>>
>>   \usepackage[margin=0.25in]{geometry}
>>
>> HTH,
>
> Thanks, but since my LaTeX-fu and Org-fu are quite weak, where would I use
> this at?

I have a line at the top like so:

#+latex_header: \usepackage[margin=0.25in]{geometry}

(Mine's different, but that's the analog for this case). Anything you
would normally put in LaTeX straight-up, like commands, settings,
packages, etc. would go into #+latex_header: lines in Orgmode. Here's
an example of my default setup:

#+AUTHOR:    John Henderson
#+latex_header: \usepackage[hmargin=2.5cm,vmargin=2.5cm]{geometry}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{mathpazo} \usepackage{paralist}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{enumitem}
#+latex_header: \setlength{\parskip}{0.5cm} \setlength{\parindent}{0cm}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{lscape}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{booktabs}
#+latex_header: \hypersetup{colorlinks=true,linkcolor=blue,urlcolor=blue}

Just wanted to give an example of how you might setup Org to do what
you want in LaTeX/PDF output.

To go even further, I don't even have the above in each Org file. I
keep it in ~/org/aux/setupfile.org. Then in each file I create, I use
this line:

#+setupfile: "~/org/aux/setupfile.org"

So, for any regularly used options, I just leave them in setupfile.org
and bring them in with the above line for new files. For things I want
to set per-file, I'd add a file-specific #+latex_header line, or tweak
the #+options parameters.

John