Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:00:46 +0200

Ilya Shlyakhter <address@hidden> writes:

> On 4/19/2014 8:57 AM, Bastien wrote:
>> Hi Thorsten,
>>
>> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> In summary, its about:
>>>
>>>   1. generalize the regexp constants and vars (allow for comment-syntax,
>>>   when org-minor-mode)
>>>
>>>   2. deal with hardcoded regexp-snippets in functions (my proposoal:
>>>   replace "^" with org-BOL, "$" with org-EOL, "\\*" with org-STAR)
>>>
>>>   3. outcomment new lines after calls to Org commands.
>>
>> I still think there is a simpler way, I'll explore this and
>> I'll let you know.
>>

> What about using advice on regexp functions to transform the regexps
> (when invoked in org-minor-mode buffers) so that $ is replaced with ";
> $" etc?

Its definitely one option, but its always said in the manuals that, if
possible, one should rather modify the sources than using advices, and
since Org-mode is not abandon-ware at all, I thought I ask first how
chances are for such modifications.

> One other issue is the use of the number of stars to determine outline
> level.

Since outshine should bring the look&feel of Org-mode to programming
language buffers, using other language elements (like e.g. functions) as
outline items is not only a technical problem, but a conceptual problem
too. In Org-mode, functions are stored in src-blocks, they are not
headlines. Thus they should be treated in outshine rather like plain
lists or drawers or other elements that change visibility but are no
headline.

--
cheers,
Thorsten