Re: [O] Keeping up to date

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Keeping up to date
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 11:45:01 -0500

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Peter Davis <address@hidden> wrote:
> A while ago, I switched from ELPA to Git as my Org-mode source. However, I
> now have three Macs I'm trying to keep in sync, and doing Git updates is
> definitely more labor
> intensive. Any suggestions for good ways to keep three machines all
> up-to-date with Emacs and Org?

If by Org, you mean the Orgmode files and not your .org files, I don't
find it difficult. Once anywhere from 1x/week to 1x/month, I simply
do:
$ cd ~/.elisp/org.git
$ git pull
$ make clean && make

Then again, I don't do any local branches or development, so it might
be more difficult if you had files changed you'd need to merge, etc.
The above could probably even be put into a script. There's also
makeupN commands that I still have on my todo list to re-look into. I
think those even integrate the git pull/make steps, so you'd just need
to cd to your org.git repo and execute that.

> I suppose the best thing would be to put all my emacs stuff in a Dropbox
> folder and run from that, but I haven't managed to overcome the inertia to
> get that working.

The % of time that being on the bleeding edge of Org would have helped
me with some issue is minimal. There are great instances where I've
made a mailing list post and a change has been pushed to fix it nearly
immediately. But I tend to have initiated those anyway. Thus, I really
don't think most folks would notice a performance/feature benefit from
updating 1x/day and 1x/month (maybe even longer). Feel free to
disagree!

Regarding updating Emacs, this again seems super infrequent. I'm
mostly using Arch Linux, so the updates come whenever the repo
changes. My Win7 work computer would be a lot more similar to keeping
a Mac up to date, and I only update Emacs (aka, delete the old folder,
download a new version) maybe once or twice a year.

Sorry if the above was nothing new to you. Primarily, I'm trying to
understand what you find very difficult or trying. Or is it just doing
the above three times on separate computers that's annoying? I
definitely get that, though I'd invest in sharing the same
configurations between the systems before trying to get org.git and
Emacs running off of dropbox. Changes to .emacs that would propagate
to other computers would seem (to me, at least) *much* more impactful
than keeping Org/Emacs synced.

John