Re: [O] Keeping up to date

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Keeping up to date
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 15:34:17 -0500

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Peter Davis <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks, John (and Greg) for your replies.
>
> At some point, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and put all my emacs
> stuff in a Dropbox folder, so all my Macs will be in sync all the time. Apart
> from org-mode versions, I
> have inconsistencies in init files, etc. that cause me headaches. John, I'm
> inclined to agree that getting all my init stuff sync'ed is more important,
> but I think part of that is
> having all packages in one place so they're in sync as well.

I wondered about that. Technically, it seemed you only mentioned
Emacs/Org, which I wasn't sure if that encompassed Emacs (the binary
application), other Emacs .el files, and Org, or if you just meant
keeping your Emacs binary version up to date (and Emacs doesn't rev
/that/ often).

If you meant the former ("Emacs" meant your stash of various .el
files), then I agree that an be a headache. I'll often try some .el
program du jour, maybe keep it, maybe not, and just have them littered
about it ~/.elisp/site-lisp. Then I potentially have to add a line to
add that to my load path if it's a more involved program with it's on
dir vs. being a singular .el file. So, yes, that's a bit of a headache
as well and I think if you are doing a bunch with extra Emacs add-ons,
it would be worth syncing.

I'm thinking I fiddle with some .el or another perhaps 2-4 times a
year, so again, it's not really impacting me.

John