Re: [O] org-ref code

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] org-ref code
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 08:47:01 -0400

sorry, premature send!

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 8:36 AM, John Kitchin <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I moved the key-bindings for f10-12 out of org-ref.

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 6:01 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
John,

I've been playing with the package although, so far, only for
citations.  A few points:

1. Do you have any support for choosing the type of citation entry
     (i.e. \cite versus \autocite versus ...) when inserting a
     citation in the text?

Not at the moment. There are a few ways I can see doing this. With the existing code, you can do M-x reftex-citation, select the format you want and select the references. We could easily enough define additional formats for other citation types. I found this way of inserting citations annoying, because 99.99% of the time I want a simple cite link, and pressing  C-c ] return regexp marking return was too much for me (I cite a lot). I also found this method was not flexible, in the sense that it was not easy to add citations to an existing citation. That is why there is an ?a option to append citations in the code.

an alternative would be to use a prefix command that gave you an option to change the cite format, similar to the minibuffer menu for cite links. I have not written much prefix code before, but I will try that out.

2. You define org-link-types.  Unfortunately, this overwrites my own
     definitions, especially for "cite".  I wonder whether this type
     of customisation belongs in org-ref itself.  This is similar to
     my earlier comment about key bindings, I guess.

In the end, the link definitions can be as short as this:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :tangle org-ref.el
(org-add-link-type
 "cite"
 'org-ref-cite-onclick-minibuffer-menu
 'org-ref-cite-link-format)
#+END_SRC

I wrote this for my research group to use, and eventually the links have to be defined somewhere. I am not sure what the best place would be. It is an interesting issue of reproducibility though. Two people with different link definitions would get different results.

3. I sometimes use biblatex instead of bibtex.  As a result, I do not
     use \bibliography and use \addbibresource instead.  I have
     defined my bibliography files in org-ref-default-bibliography but
     this is only picked up on initialisation.  It is difficult to
     update this for a document in progress (I had to locally set
     reftex-default-bibliography manually).

It should be easy enough to make an addbibresource link that does the same thing as the bibliography link. And maybe to modify the find-bibliography code to check for that too. I have never used biblatex though, so I dont have any experience with it.

4. The customisation interface for org-ref-default-bibliography should be
     list aware...

I think I fixed this.

Otherwise, seems to working just fine.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.2, Org release_8.2.6-923-g233c11