Re: [O] exporting α/β to latex/pdf

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] exporting α/β to latex/pdf
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 17:06:51 +0200

Hi Nick,

On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 06:14:34PM -0400, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 04:13:45PM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> >> I have these two symbols showing in my org-mode buffer with no
> >> problems
> >> ╭────
> >> │ alpha (ER-α) and beta (ER-β)
> >> ╰────
> >>
> >> but they are not exported to latex/pdf. How then can I do so please?
> >
> > The easiest solution is to use a modern TeX engine like XeTeX or LuaTeX
> > along with a font with the required glyphs.
>
> The *easiest* solution is to just say \alpha and \beta in the org file
> instead of α and β. But biting the bullet and adopting XeTeX or LuaTeX is
> probably the *best* way to go (he says without ever having used either...)

Well put!

I really recommend using XeTeX for most things.  There are some caveats
though.  Clipping is a bit iffy, sometimes it warns as not supported but
works anyway :-p.  Sometimes it has trouble including slightly
non-standard pdf images whereas pdfTeX works fine.  There are also a few
packages here and there that are still not completely supported.  IIRC,
either one of the TikZ math libraries or a 3rd-party TikZ library (maybe
tikz-3dplot) is incompatible.

That said, I attached a sample pdf with lots of unicode produced with
XeLaTeX and Linux Libertine.  As you can see, some glyphs are missing
from Linux Libertine, but otherwise it looks pretty good!

> >  I personally use XeTeX with
> > Linux libertine fonts.  You can find my setup here:
> >
> > <https://github.com/suvayu/.emacs.d/blob/master/org-mode-config.el#L176>
> >

> That is a nice resource - thanks!

Glad you like it.

:)