Re: [O] Using Emacs, Org-mode and R for Research Writing in Social Scien

From: Axel Kielhorn
Subject: Re: [O] Using Emacs, Org-mode and R for Research Writing in Social Sciences
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 20:39:58 +0200

Am 14.05.2014 um 18:51 schrieb Vikas Rawal <address@hidden>:

> Thank you Axel for taking the time to test it. I look forward to more
> comments as you look at it. You comments are very useful.

I'm new to Emacs, but know LaTeX and Pandoc.
I have a lot of beginner’s questions.
(Configuring emacs is quite difficult: should I use
- custom-set-variable
- starter-kit
- raw elisp in .emacs
)

In your document you are using alt instead of meta.
Not everyone uses alt for meta (especially on the Mac where alt (option) is
used to access unusual characters).

>> I tried to export the .org to Latex and failed because it needed
>> tabulary and threeparttable.
>>
>> They are used if you use vikas-general.org but as far as i understood the
>> document that is just recommended.
>>
>> I added the line
>> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{tabulary,threeparttable}
>> to the document.
>>

> vikas-general.org (I already dislike my name being on that file)

How about

config.org ?
config-example.org ?

And ask the user to copy it to $USER.org

> I removed explicit inclusion of these packages from this document and the
> instructions, because I wanted to reduce the work in terms of setting things
> up.

You achieved the opposite.
Now a user *has* to enable the config file.
Otherwise it would be clear that additional packages may be needed which may
not be part of a minimal TeX Live installation.

>> You are using
>>
>> : #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [garamond]
>>
>> which results in
>>
>> \documentclass[garamond]{article}
>>
>> But garamond is not a valid option for article.
>>

> This is where I got this from
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/article-class.html#sec-4-3-2
>
> I think it requires mathdesign to be loaded. But I will check.

Yes, and some additional LaTeX coding.

I'll wait for the next release and have a closer look.

Axel