Re: [O] Enumeration within environment block

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Enumeration within environment block
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 09:33:22 -0700

Hi Xavier,

Xavier Garrido <address@hidden> writes:

> The problem is that the enumeration number gets lost either in the
> =enumerate= env. in LaTeX or the =ol= tags in html and thus question
> restart to number 1 every time I have a BEGIN_QUESTION/END_QUESTION
> block. Is there a way to solve that issue or at least to force the
> item number ? (for instance, in LaTeX I can write \item[1],\item[2]
> and in html I can set the =ol= start value).

I don't have any real advice for HTML (CSS counters??) but there are
some solutions that exist in the LaTeX world for cumulative numbering
like this.

The solutions I am most familiar with are the linguex[1], gb4e[2], and
philex[3] packages.  (These are packages for linguists, who often need a
running set of examples with text in between -- though they also have
linguistics-specific stuff that you probably don't need.)

There is also the enumitem[4] package.  I don't have much experience
with this but it may work for you.

I wrote a custom exporter for Org that adds support for exporting Org
lists to the numbered example environments used by linguex and gb4e.  It
is called ox-linguistics[5] and is posted on Github.  If you like the
solution provided by linguex or gb4e at the LaTeX level, this would
allow you to access it from Org, without having to write embedded LaTeX.
It also lets you refer back to examples (questions, in your case) using
Org targets and links.

ox-linguistics is still alpha-quality and I may make some significant
changes to it soon, but I have been using it for a while now to compile
my dissertation, and it's been meeting my needs pretty well.  Let me
know what you think.

[1] http://www.ctan.org/pkg/linguex
[2] http://www.ctan.org/pkg/gb4e
[3] http://www.ctan.org/pkg/philex