Re: [O] Pandoc users, how do you use it with org-mode, and why?

From: Scott Randby
Subject: Re: [O] Pandoc users, how do you use it with org-mode, and why?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 16:31:21 -0400

On 05/21/2014 02:33 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 May 2014 at 13:01, Grant Rettke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Lately been hearing great things about Pandoc's ability to export to ebook
>> formats and more.
>>
>> Folks that use both Pandoc and org-mode: how do you use them together, and
>> why?
>
> I've only recently started using pandoc and I have exactly one use case:
> the need, in some cases, to produce a .docx document with
> mathematics.  Pandoc will convert LaTeX to docx and handles equations
> reasonably well (not perfect but better than any other alternative I
> have found to date).  The LaTeX generated by org is usually perfectly
> fine.

I've been playing around with Pandoc, and I've found that its ability to
convert LaTeX to docx is rather limited. While it will convert equations
and mathematical expressions reasonably well, it is not able to convert
arrays that use things such as \hline or other formatting commands. This
isn't surprising to me, but it means that arrays with special formatting
need to be altered before using Pandoc.

Scott Randby