Re: [O] org-contacts development

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] org-contacts development
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 11:06:35 +0200

Alexis <address@hidden> writes:

> What i'd now like to do is to add support for transferring data back and
> forth between my org-contacts file and the Contacts store on my
> phone. The challenge is the mapping between these two systems.

You could also put yourself a slightly different challenge: map
between the org-contacts-format and an carddav server that you
establish as a backend on your phone.  E.g. google contacts is a
carddav server, I think.

I use DAVdroid for syncing my calendar and my contacts with my
OwnCloud and it very, very well!  I sync my agenda with my OwnCloud
using org-caldav, which works great except when you have multiple time
stamps per heading.  For contacts I tried Asynk to sync my bbdb
contacts with OwnCloud, but I was using too many fields unknown to it,
and my contacts got messed up.

Mayhaps you already thought of this approach.  I think it is more
future-proof.

> What would be useful would be an 'official', fleshed-out spec for
> org-contacts data, which handles a greater range of contact-related
> info. At the moment, for example, my org-contacts file makes use of
> the properties:

I would go for whatever properties are supported by Carddav, if
there's a limit.

--
Sådan en god dansk lagereddike kan man slet ikke bruge mere