Re: [O] Incorrect hexification in URLs in LaTeX Export

From: David Maus
Subject: Re: [O] Incorrect hexification in URLs in LaTeX Export
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 09:09:50 +0200

Hi all,

At Sun, 25 May 2014 07:56:15 +0200,
Bastien wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> "R. Michael Weylandt <address@hidden>"
> <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > TLDR: remove ?\= from org-link-escape-chars.
>
> Done (in master.)
>
> I'm copying David since he's the author of this commit:
> http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=1a68b6
>
> David, sorry to jump in, but are there any reason why the
> characters + ; and = where escaped in this commit?

I think the only reason was that these characters already had been
escaped in `org-link-escape-chars'.

The commit removed the special rules for the letters with
diacritics. The previous commit (0c4bb0e) introduced an algorithm that
covered non-ASCII characters in general, thus special rules for
letters with diacritics where no longer necessary.

I can only speculate why they were escaped in the first place: + ; and
= do have special meaning in HTTP URIs and IIRC Org did not draw a
strict distinction between escaping for internal purposes and escaping
of HTTP URIs.

Best,
  -- David