Re: [O] org-contacts development

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: [O] org-contacts development
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 14:06:12 +1000

Daimrod <address@hidden> writes:

> Sure, but then how would we define the map? with a fixed set of rules?
> with a user customizable map (e.g. '(("MOBILE" -> "TELL;CELL")
> ("EMAIL_WORK" -> "EMAIL;TYPE=work")))?

More the latter. My initial (again, brainstorming!) thinking has an
user-modifiable data structure along the lines of the following:

+-----------------------------------+------------+--------------------+
| elisp var                         |org property| ~ vCard equivalent |
+-----------------------------------+------------+--------------------+
| org-contacts-email-work-property  |EMAIL_WORK  |EMAIL;TYPE=work     |
| org-contacts-mobile-work-property |MOBILE_WORK |TEL;CELL;TYPE=work  |
+-----------------------------------+------------+--------------------+

English-language properties for the org property column could be
provided by default, but users who wanted to use non-English property
names could do so by modifying the relevant entries.

> I'm not saying that it's impossible nor that we shouldn't do it but that
> we need to think about it first. :)

Oh 100% agreed! That's why i've started this discussion here, so as to
get input, feedback, and hopefully at least rough consensus, on how to
approach all this. :-)

> Well, if people are willing to help, I'll see if I can come up with a
> proposal.

:-) Sounds good!

Alexis.