Re: [O] org-contacts development

From: Daimrod
Subject: Re: [O] org-contacts development
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 12:19:36 +0900

Michael Strey <address@hidden> writes:
Hi Michael,

> Reading http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html#Node_Properties
> I just realised that my clumsy property keys are against the rules since
> they are containing whitespace characters.
>
> Nevertheless I still like the idea of having a Type, a number and a
> Value for every property that can occur multiple.  Thus the properties
> can be easily mapped to the VCard scheme as well as to any other scheme.
>
> Thus, what I would like to propose is the following scheme:
>

> #+BEGIN_SRC org
> :PROPERTIES:
> :Contact_Type:     individual or organisation
> :Organization_1_Type: company
> :Organization_1_Name: The company name
> :Organization_1_Department: department, business unit, division
> :Organization_1_Title: job title of an individual
> :FN: The full name
> :GivenName:
> :FamilyName:
> :Name_Prefix:
> :Name_Suffix:
> :Nickname:
> :Email_1_Type: Work
> :Email_1_Value: address@hidden
> :Address_1_Type: Work
> :Address_1_Street: The street can contain multiple lines \\ second line
> :Address_1_Box: Postal box
> :Address_1_Extension: other extensions that can occur in addresses
> :Address_1_City: The city
> :Address_1_Region: Region, federal state etc.
> :Address_1_Code: 12100
> :Address_1_Country: France
> :Phone_1_Type: Work
> :Phone_1_Value: +33 565 623740
> :Phone_2_Type: Fax
> :Phone_2_Value: +33 565 623070
> :Website_1_Type: Work
> :Website_1_Value: http://www.domain.fr
> :Birthday:
> :Language:     en
> :Salutation:
> :END:
> #+END_SRC

Hmm, I kinda like this. It seems a bit verbose but it's better than
having multiple values per properties (IMHO).

Though, if we adopt this scheme, we would need to add some helper
bindings/functions so that we don't have to fill this by hands.

> Other user defined properties can be added and mapped to the appropriate
> user defined keys during export.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean. Could you give more details
and maybe an example?

> [snip]
>
> Please note that org-collector tries to convert property values from
> strings into numbers if possible.  For postal codes with leading Zeros
> this can lead to unexpected results.  I did not find any other way to
> solve this problem than to add a national code like in the following
> example
>
> :Address_1_Code:  01169
> would lead to "1169" in the propview table.
>
> so I replaced it with
> :Address_1_Code:  DE-01169

What is `org-collector' and when does it happen?

I've done a quick test and the 0 appears in `org-contacts-db'.

Best,

--
Daimrod/Greg