Re: [O] [bug] aorg-agenda effort filter

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [bug] aorg-agenda effort filter
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 11:03:49 +0200

Bastien writes:
> This is about the quote character as an output, not as used in Emacs
> change logs.

I can't find this stipulation anywhere in the official docs.

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Format-of-ChangeLog.html
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Style-of-Change-Logs.html

Clearly the quoting style used in the changelog entries follows the GNU
coding style, which has now changed from the former preference of using
backticks as the left quote character to single quotes (the second
document already uses the new style in the example).  In fact it isn't
even talking about needing to always use quotes (it is more consistent
to always use them, but at least for prefixed names there is no
ambiguity of what was meant to begin with).

> No, the convention is still to use ` for variables in change logs.

You might ask Stefan for a policy decision, although I can't see why the
Emacs project would deviate from the GNU coding standard in this regard.

> This is the same as using `variable' in Emacs lisp buffers (see line
> 343 of current trunk in lisp-mode.el, where `font-lock-constant-face'
> is used for highlighting variables.)

Now you're talking about docstrings and I'll expect that this will also
change, albeit much more slowly.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: