Re: [O] #+INCLUDE: myfile.html html does not include /literally/; Org pr

From: Omid
Subject: Re: [O] #+INCLUDE: myfile.html html does not include /literally/; Org processes
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 06:01:29 -0400

Thank you for the patch, Achim.

On 06/01/2014 05:26 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Nicolas Goaziou writes:
>> Thanks for the patch. However, I'd rather not allow arbitrary blocks
>> around included files, as it can be the source of some headache (e.g.,
>> a quote block around an Org file containing a headline). Also we don't
>> really need it since most use-cases are already supported.
>
> Fair enough.  FWIW, I'm pretty sure the problem of the OP can also be
> solved with Babel, perhaps even with an inline function, but I haven't
> yet tried and it's likely to be quite a bit less intuitive than using
> INCLUDE.
>
>> Actually, I think there are two possible ways to handle this:
>>
>>   1. Add a new "export" (or something else) parameter which will wrap
>>      file contents within an export block relative to the current
>>      back-end. Unfortunately, this will not work for exotic back-ends
>>      that do not provide such a block (:export-block property in its
>>      definition). We can always fallback to an example block in this
>>      case, though.
>
> Please not.
>
>>   2. Extend "src" syntax to allow Babel parameters after the language.
>>      E.g.,
>>
>>        #+INCLUDE: "file.html" src html :results html
>
> That looks better, but still isn't quite self-explanatory.  What
> happens if I write
>
>     #+INCLUDE: "file.html" src html :results elisp
>
> for instance?  That would still wrap the include file with an almost
> arbitrary block, no?  I don't think you can check that the file to be
> included fulfills all the requirements of being included at that point
> anyway.  Here are two more options with different degrees of iffyness:
>
> #+INCLUDE_HTML: "file.html"
>
> #+BEGIN_HTML
> <<"file.html">>
> #+END_HTML

I think #+INCLUDE: should be just that: Include whatever the user is
asking to. No header arguments dumps the file in Org (as it does now),
subject to the usual processing, and a header argument like html wraps
it in the appropriate delimiter, subject to processing according to
that delimiter. I is up to the user to make sure the included content
doesn't break things or lead to unexpected behavior. This
functionality will be an extension of C's #include (the extension
being the addition of delimiters around the included content if the
user asks that) and in that sense I think it would be most
appropriate.

> Regards,
> Achim.

Regards,