Re: [O] (org-insert-headline '(4)) should insert new headline before poi

From: Leonard Avery Randall
Subject: Re: [O] (org-insert-headline '(4)) should insert new headline before point
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 13:11:10 +0100

Thanks!
All best,
Leonard

May 21, 2014 at 2:43 AM
Hi Leonard,

I followed your directions and added another fix.

Things should be okay now, let me know if not.

Thanks,

May 4, 2014 at 3:37 AM
Hi Bastien,

Just to follow up on the error, reverting commit 0ca4092 fixes the bug that I mentioned in my last email and reverting the fourth hunk of commit b8c85a1 should fix the bug that you tried to fix with that commit.  Carsten had added an 'unless (bolp)' condition to the function that controls inserting new lines outside of headlines to avoid deleting whitespace. However, so far as I can tell, the other measures Carsten put in place with that commit made adding this condition unnecessary. Outside of the contexts where it produces the first bug I mentioned it does not seem to affect headline insertion behaviour.

Anyway, reverting those commits should get headline insertion to work as advertised.

All best

Leonard

April 30, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Hi Bastien,
Thanks for the fix, and sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there seems to be a new issue. Now, if you press M-RET in a lower level tree anywhere but in the headline, it will produce a new first level headline. So, given buffer contents as in example (a), if i press M-Ret at the end of `two', I get (b)  which is what I would expect, but if i press RET, then M-RET, I get (c) which is certainly not what I would expect.

--example-a--
* Level one

** Level two
--end-example-a--

--example b--
* Level one

** Level two

**
--end-example-b--

----example-c--
* Level one

** Level two

*
----end-example-c-

Thanks again.

All best,
Leonard
April 30, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Hi Leonard,

Okay, I see now and this is fixed -- thanks for your patience,

April 30, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I'm having a hard time finding out what you *did* exactly -- can you
describe the way to reproduce the bug from an empty buffer, step by
step?

Sorry, I should have been more explicit about what I was doing. Step by step instructions would look something like this.

 If I type the following commands,

1. emacs -q -l ~/minimal-init.el
2. C-x C-f ~/test.org RET
3. bla
4. C-a
5. M-RET
6. C-e
7. RET
8. bla bla
9. C-a
10. M-RET

I get:
----begin-example---
* bla
*
bla bla
----end-example---

If I perform the same commands without loading the minimal init file (Minimal-init just adds the most recent version org-mode to the load path, and says to debug on error), I get this

----begin example---

* bla
* bla bla
----end-example---

It adds a new line before the first headline, but otherwise it acts as expected. I am not sure if it makes any difference. But I am running the the Homebrew version of emacs 24.3.1 on OS X Mavericks.

All best,
Leonard