[O] link for tracking numbers using Org Link Abbrev Alist

From: Benjamin V Alexander
Subject: [O] link for tracking numbers using Org Link Abbrev Alist
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 19:44:48 +0000 (UTC)

Hello!

This is just a tip (a it probably belongs somewhere in the worg, but that's
a bit beyond me at the moment).

I use org-mode to track my todo list, which often requires followup with
shippers such as fedex, usps, ups, and dhl.  I found this website (link
below) which shows how to build simple URLS to link directly to the "track
packages" page of a few of my most used shippers.  Now I can cut and paste
the tracking numbers, such as this (faked) UPS number 1Z2697543002474989
using text in my org-mode file like this:

        [[ups:1Z2697543002474989]]

I think I haven't changed any of the defaults with respect to "following"
the link, so I have to click on the link or use org-open-at-point (C-C C-O)
to activate.

I thought myself so clever! So, if you haven't thought of it, it is super
easy to "Customize" org-mode with these links.  Also included is the gmail
version.  When viewing a gmail message, the hash code at the end of the URL
in the browser address bar can be used to find a message.

This site gave me the details of the tracking URLS.  There are some shippers
included there that I don't use, so I'm including the list in case you, dear
reader, need them.

        http://verysimple.com/2011/07/06/ups-tracking-url/

Here is what my "describe-variable" buffer says for the configuration variable:

        org-link-abbrev-alist is a variable defined in `org.el'.
        Its value is (("dhl" .
"http://webtrack.dhlglobalmail.com/?mobile=&trackingnumber=";)
         ("usps" .
"https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?qtc_tLabels1=";)
         ("ups" .
"http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/track?track=yes&trackNums=";)
         ("fedex" . "http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?action=track&tracknumbers=";)
         ("gmail" . "https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#all/";))

I hope this is helpful for others, now that it is searchable in the mailing
list.

Thank you!