Re: [O] [bug?] Tramp tries to open remote file links

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] [bug?] Tramp tries to open remote file links
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 10:21:51 +0200

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>> Michael Albinus wrote:

>>> No, it uses an own buffer.
>>
>> OK, so we do agree that trying to open a PDF file in the context of
>> *inline images*[1] does not make much sense, right?
>
> Are you trying to say that the org code for inline images should figure
> out that such a link should *not* be inlined because it would open a
> non-image file?

I'm not sure I use the right wording, but I'm trying to say that Org
(when set to open inline images) should never try to open PDF files, as
they can't be opened inline in a buffer anyway.

> If so, how would you define "non-image file"?

There are variables such as `image-library-alist' which show some image
extensions.

> And would that definition vary depending on the capabilities of one's
> emacs (e.g.  maybe my emacs can display PNG files but not GIF files)?

Every Emacs instance can be tested to see if it supports some file
extension; for example, for PNG:

M-: (image-type-available-p 'png)

Best regards,
  Seb