Re: [O] still seeing semi-regular lockups

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] still seeing semi-regular lockups
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 01:22:01 -0700

Daimrod <address@hidden> writes:

> Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Thanks for the followup! I was watching Daimrod's thread, and also
>>> Matt's most recent posting -- that also seemed more relevant to my
>>> problems, which were almost solely confined to log/state notes. I've
>>> pulled the fix, and will let you know if I see any more problems.
>>
>> With the latest git, I've experienced three lock-ups/freezes this
>> evening when a) archiving a subtree to a file, b) changing a todo state
>> with repeating timestamp, and 3) calling C-c C-c in an org-capture
>> buffer. (I don't think this is due to a recent change - I've been
>> running into these lockups sporadically for several months.)
>>
>> The freezes are very difficult to replicate reliably. When they happen,
>> emacs is unresponsive and can only be killed from the outside. Any tips
>> on how to debug this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> See my previous post:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/86255/focus=86263
>
> You can wrap `jit-lock--debug-fontify' with:
>
> (advice-add 'jit-lock--debug-fontify :around
>             (lambda (fun &rest args)
>               (with-local-quit (apply fun args))))
>
> and then force emacs to break and display a backtrace by sending the
> SIGUSR2 to the emacs process.

I think the advice here was also to run Org uncompiled, as that produces
a more useful backtrace, is that right? A couple of times I've gotten
SIGUSR2 to knock emacs out of a lock, but it was only while I was
running a compiled org. The one time I was running uncompiled and got a
lock, even SIGUSR2 couldn't bring it back...