Re: [O] Babel-R vs. ESS

From: Ista Zahn
Subject: Re: [O] Babel-R vs. ESS
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 10:31:07 -0400

Hi Shiyuan,

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Shiyuan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I am learning R and  use Emacs to work with R. I googled around and I
> found two options: ESS and Org-R/Org-Babel.

Org-Babel and ESS are not really alternatives; in fact the complement
each other nicely. Org gives you a lightweight markup language, and a
way to embed source code blocks. You can edit/evaluate/test R source
code blocks using ESS.

> Babel speaks multiple languages( Any languages?-if we write some sort of
> parser, which I assume is not terribly difficult under Babel?).
>
> But if R is the primary language I would use, which option (Babel-R vs ESS)
> is more advisable? I do want a nice integration of graphics/source code into
> a paper/slides.

Basically if you're using R in emacs you want to be using ESS. You can
also use org-mode to easily create reports, slides, etc. with embedded
R code.

Best,
Ista