Re: [O] How to use jsMath with org-mode

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] How to use jsMath with org-mode
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 10:10:02 -0500

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 7:23 AM, Joseph Vidal-Rosset
<address@hidden> wrote:

> <address@hidden>:
>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jsmath.html
>>
>> Hello the list,
>>
>> I have followed this tutorial, but unfortunately, I do not understand why
>> the command \ref  meets always the error message : "Undefined control
>> sequence" . I do not succed to get on html page references to numbered
>> equations.
>>
>> Does someone can help me?

I'm confused! Having never used this, I gave it a try since it's not
too involved. I'm completely at a loss.
- Downloaded jsMath-3.6e and the image fonts
- Unzipped both, creating a jsMath-3.6e dir (main js) and a jsMath dir (fonts)
- Moved jsMath/fonts to jsMath-3.6e/fonts
- Tried the sample from Worg you posted
(http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-jsmath.html)
- Edited jsMath-3.6e/easy/load.js to contain this revised loadFiles line:

#+begin_src load.js

loadFiles: ["extensions/AMSmath.js","extensions/AMSsymbols.js",
"extensions/autobold.js", "extensions/eqn-number.js"],

#+end_src

Used this file to test:

#+begin_src Org

#+STYLE: <SCRIPT SRC="../jsMath/easy/load.js"></SCRIPT>

\[
\label{a_label}
x=2*y
\]
Bla bla bla from equation \(\ref{a_label}\)

#+end_src

Exported to html, and get the undefined sequence error. I *also* don't
get a numbered equation, which jsMath says I should get:
- http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsmath/authors/eqn-number.html

Looking at the raw html, I saw no mention of jsMath anywhere, only
MathJax. Then I wondered if #+STYLE is even the correct syntax for Org
8.0 anymore, partly due to this recent post and the fact that I've
migrated to my response for css:
- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-06/msg00095.html

So, I replaced #+style with #+html_head, and at least I get this line now:

<SCRIPT SRC="/home/jwhendy/Downloads/jsMath-3.6e/easy/load.js"></SCRIPT>

The equation renders, but I get no equation number, which tells me
something's probably not right with the \label{} command; perhaps this
is the reason or the \ref{} error (no matching label, and thus no
ability to reference it)?

**Edit**: if I delete the auto-inserted MathJax script stuff from my
.html file, the equation does not render, either. I think it only
renders because Orgmode includes some MathJax functionality; it's not
really working with jsMath, hence it's not accessing the functionality
to label and refer to equations.

Oddly, I *don't* get rendered math with the test/index.html file as
described here:
- http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsmath/authors/installation.html

I get raw TeX and a red warning that jsMath is not functioning properly.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Mainly wanted to write and confirm that
this isn't working correctly for me, either.

John