Re: [O] proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 20:33:54 -0400

Hi John,

2014ko uztailak 14an, John Kitchin-ek idatzi zuen:

> I am using org-mode files with equations and code blocks in lectures,
> and it is problematic that C-c C-c removes the equation overlays when
> running a code block. First, you have to press C-c C-c twice to run the
> block, since the first one gets rid of the equations, but then you have
> run C-c C-x C-l to get the equations back! and the cycle repeats
> throughout a lecture.
>
> I would prefer that the equations stay untouched, and that the code
> blocks run without modifying them.
>
> I think the best behavior would be for C-c C-x C-l to toggle the
> equations, and to remove the C-c C-c behavior for latex overlays
> completely. But it would be ok if this was done by a C-c C-c hook
> function, so that a user could remove the latex overlay without touching
> the org-code.
>
> Maybe a new function like this:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (defun org-toggle-latex-overlays (arg)
>   "Toggle LaTeX fragments."
>   (interactive "P")
>   (if org-latex-fragment-image-overlays
>       (org-remove-latex-fragment-image-overlays)
>     (org-preview-latex-fragment arg)))
> #+END_SRC
>
>  could be added. Any thoughts?

I don’t have a comment on the substance of the proposal, but rather two
suggestions for workarounds.

The first is to use the C-c C-v C-e binding to execute source blocks
rather than C-c C-c.

The second is to let-bind ‘org-latex-fragment-image-overlays’ to nil
in an advice around the ‘org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c’ function, allowing you to
still use the more convenient C-c C-c binding.

--
Aaron Ecay