Re: [O] Bug: wrong interpretation of LaTeX [8.2.6 (8.2.6-47-ge3d2c1-elpa

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: wrong interpretation of LaTeX [8.2.6 (8.2.6-47-ge3d2c1-elpa @ c:/Users/beffa/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140526/)]
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 20:32:08 +0200

Hello,

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> writes:

> According to the LaTeX manual and reference "LaTeX: A Document
> Preparation System", L. Lamport, \[ ... \] is a short form for a
> displaymath environment. Citing the reference:
> "... Because displayed equations are used so frequently in
> mathematics, LaTeX allows you to type \[ ... \] instead of
> \begin{displaymath} ... \end{displaymath}. ..."
>
> However, org-mode classify \[ ... \] as a latex-fragment, the same as
> \(...\). The two are however very different in LaTeX because, while
> the latter displays some mathematical expression *inline*, the former
> makes its content stand out by putting it on *its own line*.

AFAIK, LaTeX allows to inline "\[...\]" constructs, so something like

  Some \[1+1\] text

is perfectly valid. Thus, I think we need to support them.

The other thing to consider is that having the same syntax for an inline
and a non-inline element could introduce some bugs (e.g. when filling
a paragraph).

OTOH, allowing inline \[...\] is pretty harmless.

> What I do not like about this is that "org-fill-paragraph" considers
> the \[ ...\] environment part of a paragraph and therefore the
> environment gets "lost" in the middle of a line.

This is a minor annoyance, indeed. However, you can use the verbose form
in this case (i.e., "\begin{displaymath}").

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou