Re: [O] c-c ' in babel source blocks strips final newline or adds blank

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] c-c ' in babel source blocks strips final newline or adds blank line upon returning, but never neither
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 00:07:29 +0200

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

hi samuel,

> i think there are several misunderstanding here.

maybe not?

> first, i am not talking about outorg at all.  i am talking about babel
> source code blocks.  i have changed the subject header to make that
> more obvious.  outorg is not relevant to this thread, as far as i can
> tell.

Me too, but I had to deal with this because doing C-c ' in babel
src-blocks in an *outorg-edit-buffer* might introduce
newlines/indentation even if no editing takes place, and these unwanted
changes cause problems because they are propagated to the original
source file in the outorg conversion process.

So I would say we talk about the same thing, just in a different
context.

> second, emacs behavior is not built in.  it depends on
> require-final-newline.  if babel would respect require-final-newline,
> i would be happy.  however, it does not.  so it is not an emacs issue
> in this respect.

Ah, `require-final-newline' was the var I was looking for when dealing
with this. Thx for the tip.

> third, before posting the original post, i fully tested both the
> variable that you suggested and require-final-newline.  the value of
> the former determines which bug occurs.

Just gave a hint at the risk that you might be aware of it already.

> i hope that's enough to get us all on the same page.  i have very
> severe rsi so i limit typing to less than 4 minutes at a time.  i
> won't be able to reply for some time.

Anyway, the issue deserves some attention.

--
cheers,
Thorsten