Re: [O] Fontification of org code block not printed

From: Francesco Pizzolante
Subject: Re: [O] Fontification of org code block not printed
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 09:31:44 +0200

Hi Bastien,

> This is the fault of Org.
>
> I fixed this in master by removing `org-block-background'.
>
> This is radical but I think this is really better:
> http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/?id=f8b42e8
>
> Sebastien, let's think about another way of getting a
> color for the background, if that's really needed.

I have to say that I'm surprised about the way this issue has been
fixed. Let me tell you why.

1) The fix 'simply' removes a useful Org functionality, which I use for
   3 years now, without providing any alternative.

2) The first approach would have been to try to fix the issue instead of
   completely removing the functionality which, as I already said, is
   present since a long time.

3) A possible workaround, without completely removing
   org-block-background, would have been to add a variable in order for
   people to activate (or de-activate) it and use it (or avoid the
   issue).

4) To conclude, according to Stefan Monnier (see his answser from
   2014-07-29 11:38), the issue is due to a bug in ps-def.el and not in
   Org:

> It's a problem in the ps-def.el code which handles the `face' property
> in a "naive" way: it fails to merge the various active face properties
> (from the various overlays and the text-property).

Could you, then, put org-block-background back and let the fix be done
in Emacs and not in Org?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
 Francesco