Re: [O] [POLL] Syntax change: make \[...\] non-inline (+1)

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Syntax change: make \[...\] non-inline (+1)
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 14:19:31 -0400

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> writes:

>>> 5. Existing documents are very easy to fix.
>>>

>>Backwards compatibility is important. It has been broken
>>before, for very good reasons, and even though it was done very
>>carefully, it still caused many problems (still does).
>>So I don't buy the "very easy to fix" part: it will bite somebody
>>two minutes before he/she has to make a presentation (or even during the
>>presentation - DAMHIKT).
>
> Don't get me wrong, I value backward compatibility.
>
> However, here for the end user the change would amount to something like
>
>  if \[ is not at the beginning of a line, then insert \n before \[
>  if \] does not end a line, then insert \n after \]
>
> for the whole document (or something similar). This should obviously
> be documented in the release notes where an exact procedure to fix the
> document can be detailed (possibly two query-replace expressions).
>
> And if somebody updates just before a presentation and without reading
> the release notes, then it's his own fault.

It's a bit more complicated than that: one upgrades org at some
opportune moment, then three months/years/centuries later, tries to use
that presentation that worked perfectly before - boom. If you go back
and check all your old presentations each time you upgrade org, you are,
I would guess, the exception, not the rule. I certainly don't do that

Just to be clear: on the whole issue you bring up, I'm more or less
neutral (slightly negative to be sure, mostly because I'm not convinced
that it's a serious problem, but I could live with it either way).

I generally put displays in separate paragraphs, I rarely use
autofill[fn:1] and I'm happy to do M-q on individual paragraphs instead,
but if I happen to do it on the wrong paragraph (backtraces, code
fragments, displayed equations), undo is easy enough.

Footnotes:

[fn:1] I use it in gnus message composition modes by default, and I
often swear at it and turn it off because it does things that I don't
want it to do - mostly mangles backtraces and code fragments; I probably
should turn it off completely.

--
Nick