Re: [O] [POLL] Syntax change: make \[...\] non-inline (+1)

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Syntax change: make \[...\] non-inline (+1)
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 16:48:08 -0400

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> writes:

>> It's a bit more complicated than that: one upgrades org at some
>> opportune moment, then three months/years/centuries later, tries to use
>> that presentation that worked perfectly before - boom. If you go back
>> and check all your old presentations each time you upgrade org, you are,
>> I would guess, the exception, not the rule. I certainly don't do that
>
> Well, if I reuse an old presentation I usually use the old pdf.

Well, if you are lucky enough to have a static presentation that will
cover the past and present as well as the future, fine. But most of mine
are templates that incorporate the latest set of numbers: the old pdf
will not cut it. I suspect that most people do something similar at
least some of the time. It is then that that (mostly forgotten) update
from a couple of weeks ago that broke backwards compatibility will bite.

>> I generally put displays in separate paragraphs, I rarely use
>> autofill[fn:1] and I'm happy to do M-q on individual paragraphs instead,
>> but if I happen to do it on the wrong paragraph (backtraces, code
>> fragments, displayed equations), undo is easy enough.
>
> The problem with that is that a displayed equation should NOT start a
> new paragraph (in the generated LaTeX file). This is because if it
> does then LaTeX puts more (vertical) space than desirable.

It's a matter of perspective: I don't expect org to replace latex
(but I realize that some people do).

--
Nick