Re: [O] Multi-line links

From: Tobias Getzner
Subject: Re: [O] Multi-line links
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 13:03:54 +0200

Hello Nicolas,

On Sa, 2014-07-26 at 15:32 +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> In the long run, I'm pretty sure the project will benefit more if you
> bring in your own, temporary, inexperience and start hacking from there.

I’ll definitely look into this once I get a hang of Elisp. When I
(unsuccessfully) tried to figure out how links are handled, it occurred
to me some more inline docs would be useful; but then again maybe once
one is used to Elisp the code becomes more transparent. When I have
some time for another attempt to wrap my head around the code, maybe
I could try adding in some comments as I go along.

> > since multi-line descriptions seemed to be working (though only for <
> > 3 lines) and since the raw-path seemed to contain the needed
> > line-breaks already. But if I understand you correctly, the
> > complication is that the path parsing is the same across different
> > link types, and so one cannot simply fix it up so that :path is
> > equivalent to :raw-path, just with the link prefix stripped of?
>
> I fixed it in maint. "org-element.el" used an inadequate regexp to
> analyze the path. Could you confirm it?

If I understand correctly, this change addresses the issue of truncated
multi-line links now. Wonderful! Thank you very much for this!

The syntax highlighting seems to also work, though it requires
refreshing the buffer display.

The only remaining issue would be that these links can only be
triggered from the first line. Clicking on another line will yield «No
link found», so I cannot get org-ref to return the BibTeX entry
appropriate for the line from which the action is triggered.

Strangely, when I inspect the other lines using org-element-context,
the link type is correctly shown, even though it’s a few lines before
point. But when issuing org-open-at-point, it seems no handler is found
when point is not on the first line of a multi-line link.

Best regards,
Tobias