[O] column view uses non-existent org-whitespace face

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: [O] column view uses non-existent org-whitespace face
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 10:53:36 +0800

I started using column view (finally), and noticed two things I thought
were odd:

1. The %ITEM specification is zero-width by default, while the other
special properties default to being as big as they need to be. This just
seems a little odd. A column spec of %ITEM %TODO will show the TODO
properly, but just a dot for the item. Shouldn't it default to
fully-visible?

2. The text for %ITEM has the face org-whitespace applied to the leading
stars, which doesn't exist anymore. I assume the intended effect was
that the stars take up space, emulating indentation, but not themselves
be visible. I guess that would be done by replacing the org-whitespace
face with whatever's being used as the column background color but I
don't know enough about faces to make that work. I also tried switching
'org-whitespace to 'invisible, but that didn't do anything. This is in
org-columns-cleanup-item.

The first one's not a big deal. The second would be nice to resolve --
it's ugly!

Thanks,
Eric