Re: [O] R code block produces only partial output

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] R code block produces only partial output
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 23:24:05 -0400

Hi Chuck,

2014ko abuztuak 5an, "Charles C. Berry"-ek idatzi zuen:

[...]

> Here is the docstring from ESS's inferior-S-prompt:
>
> inferior-S-prompt is a variable defined in `ess-custom.el'.
> Its value is "[]a-zA-Z0-9.[]*\\([>+.] \\)*> "
>
> Documentation:
> Regexp used in S and R inferior and transcript buffers for prompt
> navigation.
> Customise it to make `comint-previous-prompt' quiqly navigate to
> interesting portions of the buffer.
>

> You can customize this variable.
>
> ----
>
> Note that there is a space *required* after the [>+.], but the hard coded
> regex in `org-babel-R-evaluate-session' lets the space be optional.
>
> I am guessing the a-zA-Z stuff is there to strip 'Browse[1]> ' prompts and
> such, which probably isn't an issue for babel.

Why doesn’t org just use the value of inferior-S-prompt?  (which would
then need to have the bit concatenated to the end that matches
e.g. [1]).  Another way of putting this might be “does the space that
ESS requires ever turn up missing?”

> Just before the defcustom for inferior-S-prompt, I see this comment
> in ess-custom.el:
>
> ;; need to recognise  + + + > > >
> ;; and "+ . + " in tracebug prompt
>
> Ha! The '.' seems to be for ess-tracebug. I am guessing that nobody will
> need to output tracebug sessions from babel. So maybe it is safe to delete
> the "." after all - or at least require the space after it.

Tracebug is on by default in ESS – C-h v ess-use-tracebug.  Tracebug
even has babel support: see e.g. line 148 in ess.tracebug.el
<https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/blob/4283f1304a54502c42707b6a4ba347703f0992dd/lisp/ess-tracebug.el#L148>.

> Maybe the regex should be put in a defcustom.

Why?  The current mismatch between babel and ESS seems like a bug, but
once that’s fixed I don’t see the use case for configurability here.
(But maybe you have something in mind...)

--
Aaron Ecay