Re: [O] Org-mode extensions used to publish a dissertation

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode extensions used to publish a dissertation
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 07:38:44 -0400

Joseph Vidal-Rosset <address@hidden> writes:

> Many thanks Eric for this email and the attachment.
>
> Of course it is very useful.

>> Hi List,
>>
>> I thoroughly enjoyed using Org-mode to write my dissertation.  I was
>> happy to be able to export (mostly) equivalent versions of the document
>> to HTML and PDF.  I'd recommend using Org-mode for such a complex
>> writing task to those who are either willing to hack the exporter, or
>> are willing to accept an Org-mode document with inline LaTeX which only
>> /really/ works with the LaTeX backend.
>>
>> As I fall in the former category, here are the small extensions to the
>> Org-mode exporter which I found necessary.  Thanks to the new exporting
>> backend they were uniformly easy to implement.  They are included in the
>> attached elisp file.  Each pagefeed (^L) in the file marks a new section
>> of functionality, the sections are as follows...
>>
>>  1. Ignore Headlines and keep content (discussed here recently)
>>  2. Multi-column Table Cells
>>  3. Wide tables extend into the margins.
>>  4. Wide tables squeezed within the margins
>>  5. "sc" links for the \sc{} latex command
>>  6. "gls" links for the \gls{} family of Glossary commands
>>  7. color links
>>  8. TIKZ figure links
>>  9. Tie certain latex commands to the preceding word.
>> 10. Fix emphasis in text export
>>
>> A simplified version of my Makefile is also attached.  I hope someone
>> finds this useful.
>>
>> Best,
>> Eric
>>

> Can you tell us how using the Makefile in order to test all these functions
> for a dissertation?

The Makefile and the code do not need to be used together.

> I am especially interested by points 2 and 8.

For point 2 try adding the following above a wide table in an Org-mode
document (after evaluating the code).

  #+ATTR_LaTeX: :environment wide

On export this should allow your table to cut into the page margins
(note: for my school I later had to undo this as there were strict rules
about margins in dissertations).

Point 8 is a little more involved.  I prefer to convert my TIKZ figures
to svg for HTML export, and keep them as raw tikz for LaTeX export.  I
found that the easiest way to do this (for me at least), was to keep the
figures in external .tex files.  I would then manually generate an svg
version of these files using the tex2svg script (attached).  With these
files on hand, the code in Point 8 will export Org-mode text like the
following.

  #+name: llvm-mutation
  #+Caption[LLVM Transformations]: Illustration of transformations over LLVM
IR.  These transformations require that the SSA data dependency graph be
repaired after each mutation.
  #+TIKZ_Figure: llvm-mutation

so that the file llvm-mutation.tex is included in LaTeX export wrapped
in a figure, and the file llvm-mutation.svg is included as an image in
HTML export.

Best,
Eric

#!/bin/bash
#
# Usage: tex2svg [source.tex]
#
#        Generate an SVG file from a snippet of LaTeX source code.
#        The tex source should not be wrapped in begin/end{document}.
#
# Example Usage:
#
#     $ cat tree.tex
#     \usetikzlibrary{trees}
#     \begin{tikzpicture}
#       \node [circle, draw, fill=red!20] at (0,0) {1}
#       child { node [circle, draw, fill=blue!30] {2}
#         child { node [circle, draw, fill=green!30] {3} }
#         child { node [circle, draw, fill=yellow!30] {4} }};
#     \end{tikzpicture}
#
#     $ ./tex2svg tree.tex
#
#     $ file tree.svg
#     tree.svg: SVG Scalable Vector Graphics image
#
PACKAGES=('[usenames]{color}' '{tikz}' '{color}' '{listings}' '{amsmath}'
'{fancyvrb}' '{soul}')

PREAMBLE=$(cat <<EOF
\documentclass[preview]{standalone}
\def\pgfsysdriver{pgfsys-tex4ht.def}
$(for pack in address@hidden;do echo "\\usepackage$pack"; done)
\usepackage{algorithmic}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{adjustbox}
\usepackage{fancyvrb}
\usepackage{booktabs}
\usepackage{xcolor}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\usepackage{changepage}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.pdf,.png,.jpg,.JPG}
\begin{document}
EOF
)
POSTAMBLE=$(cat <<EOF
\end{document}
EOF
)

FIG="$1"; shift;
BASE=$(basename $FIG .tex)
TMPFILE="$(mktemp).tex"
TMPBASE=`basename $TMPFILE .tex`
TMPDIR=`dirname $TMPFILE`
cp $@ $TMPDIR

function exit_hook (){ rm -f $TMPBASE* $TMPFILE*; exit 0; }
trap exit_hook EXIT

cat <<EOF > $TMPFILE
$PREAMBLE
$(cat $FIG|sed 's/\\subcaption{.*}//')
$POSTAMBLE
EOF
htlatex $TMPFILE && rm $TMPFILE
if [ -f $TMPBASE-1.svg ];then
    # scour -i $TMPBASE-1.svg -o $BASE.svg \
    #     || cp $TMPBASE-1.svg $BASE.svg
    cp $TMPBASE-1.svg $BASE.svg
    echo $BASE.svg
else