Re: [O] Org equivalent to \chapter*

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Org equivalent to \chapter*
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 07:15:25 -1000

Aloha Rasmus,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Alan L Tyree <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it. Is
>> there an org markup that produces a starred latex heading?
>>
>> In a book, for example, I want the Preface to be at chapter level, but
>> not included in the numbering. Same for HTML export, of course.
>
> You would probably need some sort of filter for this.  Most certainly
> you will be able to find implementations on this list.
>
> Here's something from my init file that works with LaTeX.  Other
> formats such as txt and html are harder since Org generates section
> numbers and the TOC.

Thanks for sharing this.  It will be useful for book authors.

Do you think it is possible to write a general headline filter that
takes care of all the various LaTeX possibilities?  Right now Iʻm using
tags to ignoreheading, clearpage, and newpage.  In addition to your
nonum filter, Eric S. has a filter that gets rid of a heading and
promotes the content, which I havenʻt had occasion to use, but also has
its own tag.

>From the LaTeX authorʻs point of view, it would be great to have a set
of tags (and options) that "just work."  Do you (and others) think the
"tag and filter" approach can achieve this?  Or, are there too many
moving parts to make it feasible?

All the best,
Tom

--