[O] How to insert/replace during `org-elemment-map' call?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: [O] How to insert/replace during `org-elemment-map' call?
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 13:27:25 +0200

Hi List,

when I change the signature of my new function `tj/rewire-element' by
adding an mandatory 'element' argument, it can be used in
`org-element-map' calls too:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun* tj/rewire-element (element &optional replace &rest args &key type
&allow-other-keys)
    "..."
    (let* ((elem (or element (org-element-at-point))) ...)))
#+end_src

e.g. for converting all src-blocks in a buffer to example blocks:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (org-element-map ptree 'src-block
    (lambda (--elem)
      (tj/rewire-element --elem nil
                         :type 'example-block
                         :header nil)))
#+end_src

but the above just returns a list of strings with the created
example-blocks because argument 'replace' is nil:

,----
| (tj/rewire-element --elem nil ...)
`----

When I set that argument to non-nil (t or 'append or 'prepend), things
stop working because replacing/appending changes the parsed buffer,
but the :begin and :end properties of the already parsed elements are
not adjusted and I use them e.g. to delete a region.

Without using the export-framework (which seems overkill in this
case), is there a way to make this work anyway?

--
cheers,
Thorsten