Re: [O] left padding added each time a code block is edited

From: Noah Hoffman
Subject: Re: [O] left padding added each time a code block is edited
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 08:51:45 -0700

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 6:47 AM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Have you experienced any bugs with respect to this? On my system Babel
> will even run this code correctly:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python
>            if True:
>                return( "hello!")
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : hello!

To use a slightly different example:

#+BEGIN_SRC python
  import sys
  for i in range(10):
      print "foo"
#+END_SRC

-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "~/Downloads/" -*-
Compilation started at Fri Aug  8 08:44:39

~/.emacs.d/bin/pychecker /Users/nhoffman/Downloads/broken.py
/Users/nhoffman/Downloads/broken.py:1:2: unexpected indent
  import sys
 ^
/Users/nhoffman/Downloads/broken.py:1:3: E111 indentation is not a
multiple of four
/Users/nhoffman/Downloads/broken.py:1:3: E113 unexpected indentation
/Users/nhoffman/Downloads/broken.py:2:3: E111 indentation is not a
multiple of four
/Users/nhoffman/Downloads/broken.py:3:7: E111 indentation is not a
multiple of four

Compilation finished at Fri Aug  8 08:44:40

Anything other than 4 spaces per indention level is flagged by python
style/syntax checkers that enforce pep8 (and yes, many flame wars have
been fought on the topic, but there are good reasons for enforcing
consistency). This is an issue when editing code blocks and in tangled
code. Maybe it's primarily an aesthetic thing, but I think that it's
best when possible to set the default to follow the standard
conventions for the language (my python mode certainly seems to think
so!).

>> 2. While this variable is very well documented, it isn't very
>> discoverable via apropos or the html manual (at least, I wasn't able
>> to discover it). Perhaps a reference can be added to this variable in
>> the docstring for org-edit-src-code?
>
> Patches are more than welcome!  There's a guide on Worg:
>
>         http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

I'll do so with pleasure! Thanks again.