Re: [O] MobileOrg documentation?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: [O] MobileOrg documentation?
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 10:42:41 -0700

address@hidden (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> David Masterson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Not looking for complete org functionality in my phone -- just a
>> reasonable ability to edit org outlines while I'm on the road.
>
> Well you can do that with MobileOrg... sort of. Once you edit and save
> a change, synchronize in your phone and then pull from your computer
> (org-mobile-pull). From (info (org) Pulling from MobileOrg):
>
> "Some changes are applied directly and without user
> interaction. Examples are all changes to tags, TODO state, headline
> and body text that can be cleanly applied. Entries that have been
> flagged for further action will receive a tag ‘:FLAGGED:’, so that
> they can be easily found again. When there is a problem finding an
> entry or applying the change, the pointer entry will remain in the
> inbox and will be marked with an error message. You need to later
> resolve these issues by hand."
>
> I do not understand when "cleanly applied" is the case, but my
> experience is that resolving "these issues by hand" is the most likely
> outcome. Even simple edits in the text of an entry in my phone
> generally result in errors of synchronization. Note that besides
> adding a comment of when the file was changed in the mobile, the local
> file does not change. Also you can see the differences in the files in
> the from-org-mobile.org file (or whatever you set the
> org-mobile-inbox-for-pull variable to).
>
> Because of this limitation, I am better off just adding simple
> captures on my phone as remainders to do something in my computer,
> even adding information to a certain file. Then, when I synchronize in
> the phone and pull in my computer, the only file that changes is
> from-org-mobile.org, I open that buffer and use org-refile to send
> things to the right place.  Save all org buffers, org-mobile-push and
> repeat.
>
> I you have access by ssh to a computer that is always on, then I
> recommend leaving an emacsclient open and using JuiceSSH of ConnectBot
> for editing your org files on the go.

Hmmm.  Simple question (I think).  Can you edit outlines (at least
somewhat) from MobileOrg?  For instance, can you add outline headers to
your Org outline in MobileOrg?  Or is MobileOrg only useful for viewing
Org outlines and capturing items to add to your outlines later?

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large