Re: [O] Custom todo-like thing in agenda?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Custom todo-like thing in agenda?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 13:48:43 +0200

Hello Marcin,

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> I was wondering whether something like this is possible.  (Well, I'm
> pretty sure it is, what I don't know whether I'm competent enough to
> pull it off...)  I'd like to be able to create a special agenda view
> (or block in a "normal" agenda, this shouldn't make much difference,
> since I may use block agenda instead of the usual C-c a a), in which
> the lines would behave much like TODOs, with the exception that their
> source would not be an Org file, but something else.  In my case, it
> would be a web todo-like service, with the possibility of extracting
> info (like the deadline and such) using some command-line curl
> invocation.  Then, I could (rather easily, I guess) write some Elisp
> to parse this info, and (here the hard part - at least for me -
> begins) somehow insert it in the agenda buffer.
>
> Of course, I could also just generate an "intermediate", temporary org
> file, using curl -> parsing -> buffer -> save and include it in the
> agenda.  This would most probably speed up the process of generating
> the agenda (which is a plus).  However, I'd like another
> functionality: I'd like to have the `t' command to send some
> information to the web service I'm using.
>
> Where should I start?  Is there anything even remotely similar to what
> I'm trying to achieve so that I could analyze its source, for
> instance?

This seems interesting for sure.

I don't have more knowledge than you on such a topic; however, if I had
to really look into that, I'd start by taking a look at the following:

- `org-debbugs.el' package from Michael Albinus

- Bugzilla integration from John Wiegley
  (see https://gist.github.com/jwiegley/472120)

HTH -- and please publish any step you make!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban