Re: [O] R code block produces only partial output

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] R code block produces only partial output
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 08:35:04 -1000

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, I think that it’s going to be difficult to make babel a better
> literate programming solution for R if we restrict ourselves not to
> use the state-of-the-art R package for low-level literate programming
> support.  Org is full of features which one needs to install other
> software to use, and I’m comfortable with the idea that babel’s R
> support should require the evaluate package.  However, it’s difficult
> to argue this point of view when no one has spoken up about their own
> requirements, and a spirit of conservatism in the face of vague
> imagined difficulties persists.

As a regular user of babel, including ob-R, I do want to see it mature
into a state-of-the-art, productive literate programming environment.
I've followed babel development for a long time and my sense is that
responsible experimentation is the norm, backed up by the ability to
revert commits that end up causing undue headaches.  If Aaron's good
work on ob-R raises howls of protest from users with restrictive IT
managers, or the evaluate package somehow becomes a pariah, then at some
point ob-R would have to drop the evaluate package requirement.  If not,
then the rest of us can enjoy the benefits of Aaron's labor (hopefully
on master and not as a series of patches, which are a real pain for us
non-programmer types to maintain).

My $0.02.

Tom

--