Re: [O] Difference :header-args: and :header-args+:?

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Difference :header-args: and :header-args+:?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 09:56:05 +0200

Sorry about some points - see corrections below:

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Aaron Ecay writes:
>>> Eric Schulte has said <http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden>
>>> that the deprecation of this feature is “premature”.  I didn’t realize
>>> at the time that the deprecation was also included in the manual rather
>>> than just a code comment.  Possibly it should be un-deprecated.
>>
>> It shouldn't, owing to a number of essentially un-fixable corner cases
>> and its inherent non-scaleability.
>>
>>> Certainly I agree that the suggested replacement is less capable.
>>
>> Do you have an example of something that it cannot do (modulo the bugs
>> and corners of the deprecated syntax)?
>
> I agree with Achim, that the new header-args should be able to do the
> same as the old syntax, but I also think that it is more "clunky" and
> less easy to grasp how to do things.
>
> And the problem are
>
> a) the different ways that properties can be set (system wide, file
> wide, subtree level, code block - I might have forgotten some),
>
> b) the different levels and
>
> d) the inheritance rules of these levels (I assume inheritance is only
> in subtrees and code blocks in the subtree? How do file wide and system
> wide properties play here? (7.4. Property Inheritance, I am confused about the
> system wide and file wide properties?

d) the inheritance rules of these levels - In the manual it says it is
off (7.4 Property Inheritance):

,----
| Org mode does not turn this on by default, because it can slow down
| property searches significantly and is often not needed.  However, if
| you find inheritance useful, you can turn it on by setting the variable
| `org-use-property-inheritance'.
`----

But based on my experience it is on? Also in the examples it is on?
Especially the inheritance with the combination of the + is confusing
to me. If inheritance is on, the + should add an argument to the
header-args property, while without the +, it should overwrite the
inherited property? Or do they do the same?

> I know that this information is likely somewhere in the manual, but this
> whole issue of properties (especially when including the +) becomes
> rather confusing to me.
>
> Rainer
>

>> Regards,
>> Achim.