Re: [O] Managing articles in orgmode and collaboration

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Managing articles in orgmode and collaboration
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 06:34:59 -1000

Aloha Christoph,

I don't manage my bibliography references in Org mode.  I am used to
managing a bibtex database and have never found the need to move
everything to Org.

Christoph Groth <address@hidden> writes:

> Most solutions seem to be based around a central BibTeX file and take
> advantage of RefTeX to navigate between citations to articles (in LaTeX
> or org files), the BibTeX file, related entries in an org-file, and
> linked external files.  Often the key that connects the various items is
> a unique label (in LastnameYear format, for example).  This key is used
> as label when citing and in BibTeX, as orgmode CUSTOM_ID, and as the
> filename of an associated external file.

Bibtex mode has functions for automatic reference key generation:

http://www.jonathanleroux.org/bibtex-mode.html#0630

You can configure this process.

> This seems to work well for people who have complete control over the
> articles they write.  But what about articles with co-authors?  These
> must be self-contained, so one needs a separate BibTeX file for each
> article project.  Let’s say that a co-author adds a new reference to a
> common project, but the cited paper is already in my database under a
> different label.  Maybe that very paper is already cited in an older
> article with different co-authors using a different \cite label?

Either a separate bibtex file for each article, or separate bibtex files
for each co-author.  A LaTeX document can use any number of bibtex files
per document.

In general, you'll want to have the bibtex file(s) for an article only
contain the references that you'll use in the article, especially if you
intend to distribute the bibtex files as part of a reproducible research
project. There are tools that use the information in your article .tex
files to create this kind of bibtex file from a larger bibtex database.

In my work flow, I have a large legacy bibtex file with about 6,000
references.  When I'm writing an article, I create another bibtex file
just for the article.  I use ebib to open both the legacy bibtex file
and the article bibtex file and copy from one to the other, which ebib
makes very convenient.  Then I autogenerate the reference key in ebib by
pressing 'K'.

hth,
Tom

--