Re: [O] Managing articles in orgmode and collaboration

From: Christoph Groth
Subject: Re: [O] Managing articles in orgmode and collaboration
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:31:33 +0200

Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo wrote:

> Thomas S. Dye writes:
>
>> I don't manage my bibliography references in Org mode.  I am used to
>> managing a bibtex database and have never found the need to move
>> everything to Org.
>
> Same here.

My motivation for keeping bibliography in org was to keep all local
information about a paper (including notes and comments) in one place.
This should make it easier to find it.

Meanwhile I found org-bibtex.  It seems to implement just what I had in
mind and is even included in orgmode by default.  The following function
can be used to save a org-bibtex headline into the kill-ring in bib
format, so that it can be yanked into a project-specific .bib-file:

(defun my-org-bibtex-kill-ring-save-headline ()
  (interactive)
  (kill-new (org-bibtex-headline)))

>> Either a separate bibtex file for each article, or separate bibtex
>> files for each co-author.
>
> Or better do both...
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC latex
>   \bibliography{/home/you/references/articles.bib}
>   % \bibliography{/home/collaborator_1/references/articles.bib}
>   % \bibliography{/home/collaborator_2/references/articles.bib}
>   \bibliography{references}
>
> #+END_SRC
>
> When a collaborator_i is working on the file she/he comments the first
> line and uncomments the i-th line AND everybody runs
> reftex-create-bibtex-file (or copy paste the new references for the
> unfortunate non-emacs user) after adding new references and finishing
> editing. Everybody shares a current version of the .tex file and the
> references.bib file.

I like to keep papers under version control, and the commenting that you
suggest does not seem to fit this way of working very well.