Re: [O] org-mode-hook not called when entering org files

From: Rémi Letot
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode-hook not called when entering org files
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:24:56 +0200

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Rémi Letot) writes:
>
>> all org seems to work fine, but for some reason org-mode-hook is not
>> called when I open an org file...
>>

> That's very unlikely: the hook is run using a general emacs mechanism,
> so if it were broken, a *lot* of things would be broken.
>
> You can check with
>
> (setq org-mode-hook nil)
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook (function (lambda () (message "RL - my
> org-mode-hook ran this"))))

emacs -Q, copied your instructions in scratch buffer and C-x C-e them
both, then opened my test.org file, and nothing happened.

Tried in another emacs -Q to set up a basic org-crypt using scratch:

(require 'org-crypt)
(org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)

C-x C-e on both, then opened a test.org. org-mode-hook is as it should,
but before-save-hook is nil.

Now I noticed a message that I have received for some times when I open
an org file:

File mode specification error: (error "`recenter'ing a window that does
not display current-buffer.")

I didn't notice it before since it has happened for quite some times and
didn't appear to cause any problem, but could it be the cause of this
problem ?

> perhaps in a minimal .emacs, and then opening a foo.org file (assuming
> your auto-mode-alist is set up correctly).

auto-mode-alist does include org-mode for org files.

Any idea ? is the error message that I receive a possible cause ?

Thanks,
--
Rémi