Re: [O] Babel support for Processing-language

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Babel support for Processing-language
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:05:00 -0400

Jarmo Hurri <address@hidden> writes:

> I just installed Processing 2 and the Emacs mode in Fedora 20 and they
> work together like a charm.
>
> However, I have _no idea_ what kind of work supporting output capture of
> both static mode (image) and active mode (animation) would
> require. Ideally, Babel support for Processing output would mean that in
> the case of
> 1. an animation
>    - HTML export it would export the entire animation
>    - PDF export it would export, e.g., the first frame from the
>      animation
> 2. a static picture, the picture would be exported.
>
> I think I might be asking for a lot. I am willing to work on this, but I
> don't know what kind of an approach I should take. The command-line
> support for Processing 2 (the program 'processing-java') runs the output
> in a separate window. Would I have to capture the output of the window
> with something like ffmpeg? Sounds like a huge hassle.

Here's a possible starting point in your research:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#develop

My next step would be to find an ob-<lang>.el that is as similar
as possible to what Processing does and what I'd want to achieve
and go from there. The link above mentions ob-template.el which
might be a good beginning too.

It's probably best to leave animations for last, but if the animation
can be stored in a file, then having a link that will play the file
seems like an easy thing to do.

All this is untainted by any knowledge of Processing, let alone any kind
of hands-on testing or actual practice, so treat it with the appropriate
size grain (boulder?) of salt.

Nick