Re: [O] TODO items in lists (not headings)

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: [O] TODO items in lists (not headings)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:39:11 -0400

[Sorry, I'm going to mess up the quoting here because I replied to Tory, not the list. - gco]

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Tory S. Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:
Does the "- [ ]" form not work for you? They are generally considered the equivalent in my experience. C-c checks them.

Gary Oberbrunner <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there any way to have TODO items in bullet lists rather than headings:
>
> * Meeting report
> ** Meeting 1
>   - a thing that happened
>   - another thing that happened
>   - TODO: email everyone about all the things
>   - some more things that happened
>
> org-mode seems to only allow TODO in headings as far as I can tell.

Gary replied:
  Hi Tory; I don't think checkboxes (- [ ]) are the same as todo items.  They don't show up with C-c / t or in the global TODO list, you can't use regular todo workflows.

Tory:
  Ah; Yeah, you're right. You have a different work flow than I do with TODO items. What's your reason for not using TODO items themselves?

Gary:
  My reason for not using TODO is just that it'd be ugly and confusing to put a heading in the middle of a list.

  Compare this:
* Meeting report
** Meeting 1
  - a thing that happened
  - another thing that happened
  - TODO: email everyone about all the things
  - some more things that happened

  to this:
* Meeting report
** Meeting 1
  - a thing that happened
  - another thing that happened
***TODO: email everyone about all the things
  - some more things that happened

Tory:
  Perfect sense; yeah, TODO headers have a tendency to clobber later stuff, and list stuff doesn't make it into the workflow. Makes good sense.

--
Gary