[O] Changed behaviours of LaTeX exporter in version 8.0+

From: Kyeong Soo (Joseph) Kim
Subject: [O] Changed behaviours of LaTeX exporter in version 8.0+
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 22:54:16 +0800

I recently upgraded my org-mode from 7.x to 8.2.7c (bundled with a Windows Emacs package for ESS) and have been struggling with changed behaviours of LaTeX exporter since.

Below is the list of those changes:

1. Double backslashes (for line break) embedded in a string for "#+AUTHOR:"

With version 7.x, the following line

#+AUTHOR: Joseph Kim\\Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering\\Example University

is exported to

\author{Joseph Kim\\Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering\\Example University}

With version 8.2.7c, however, the same line is exported to

\author{Joseph Kim$\backslash$\Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering$\backslash$\Example University}

which results in LaTeX compilation error.

2. Accessing the value of "#+KEYWORDS:" and change of cases in "org-special-blocks"

For keywords section in IEEE papers, I used to have the following settings:

#+KEYWORDS: AAA, BBB, CCC
#+BEGIN_IEEEkeywords
{{{KEYWORDS}}}.
#+END_IEEEkeywords

which turns into

\begin{IEEEkeywords}
AAA, BBB, CCC.
\end{IEEEkeywords}

Version 8.2.7c, however, produces the following from the same settings:

\begin{ieeekeywords}
.
\end{ieeekeywords}

Because the keyword environment in IEEE LaTeX class is case-sensitive, again it results in LaTeX compilation error.

Now I wonder whether I should go back to 7.x or not in spite of many improvements in the new version.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated in this regard.

Regards,
Joseph