Re: [O] TODO items in lists (not headings)

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: [O] TODO items in lists (not headings)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:34:01 -0400

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Gary Oberbrunner <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Subhan Michael Tindall <address@hidden> wrote:

Lists are very explicitly not intended to contain TODO items.

Checkboxes provide a bit of this functionality, sort of a ‘TODO lite’

The problem is that list items/checkbox items are NOT headlines, and all the TODO code etc. is tied to headlines.

I haven’t looked at the code but I suspect an extensive rewrite to integrate it with the rest of the headline code.  Not as much if it’s kept as an isolated extension.

I suspected as much.  Although having TODOs in lists would be awesome, checkboxes will do for me now.

One more followup on this: it turns out I don't need to use plain lists nearly as often as I had thought!  I didn't understand that org-mode export automatically makes headers greater than N into lists (at least with the H:N option).   So in many cases I can actually use headers (including TODOs) and get all the benefits there (including not just TODOs but attributes and so on) while still having my exported document look like bulleted lists.  Org-mode ftw!

--
Gary