Re: [O] [ANN] org-bandbook - Professional Band Management for Computer L

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] org-bandbook - Professional Band Management for Computer Literate Musicians
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 19:26:34 +0200

Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> see the attached ASCII version of org-bandbook.el's comment section for
>>> more info:
>>>

>>>                       ___________________
>>>
>>>                           ORG-BANDBOOK
>>>
>>>                         Thorsten Jolitz
>>>                        address@hidden
>>>                       ___________________
>>

>> Ups, forgot to mention the core command ;)
>>
>> ,----
>> | M-x org-bandbook-make-bandbook
>> `----
>>
>> to produce the PDF.
>
> This sounds interesting (pun intended).  I might be interested.  Would
> you be able to provide an example to play with?

when you look at the github page

,----
| https://github.com/tj64/org-bandbook
`----

you'll see these two examples:

,----
|  project-guitar-duo
|  project-massey-hall-1953
`----

I cannot put a pdf online because the songs in these projects have
copyrights, that would be asking for a lot of trouble.

The whole thing is build around the directory structure, similar to java
projects in eclipse or maven projects. So it makes no sense to just get
the elisp sources, you actually need to clone the git repo.

To try it out, you can then open the master.org file of an example
project and call

,----
| M-x org-bandbook-make-bandbook
`----

after loading /src/org-bandbook.el and dependendies (puml, org-dp) of
course, you find them in my github repo:

,----
| ;;; Requires
|
| (eval-when-compile (require 'cl))
| (require 'puml)
| (require 'org-dp-lib)
`----

This should produce a pdf that looks 'alright' so far. But I think this
has the potential to grow, since its just a perfect showcase for
Org-mode's versatility and might meet a real demand.

It works on my machine, would be interesting to see if it works for you
too.

PS

For starting your own project, make a new git branch, and either rename
one of the example projects or add another project-xyz directory.

--
cheers,
Thorsten